John Lintorn Shore

Linton2Lintorn Shore was born on 6th September 1880 at Whatley in Somerset. He was educated at Clifton and in 1898 went to Sandhurst. He and his friend, Cuthbert Matterson, were commissioned into the 1st Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment on 21st February 1900. He was promoted Lieutenant on 7th February 1901 and Captain on 19th December 1906 by which time the Battalion was serving in India.

Mobilisation on 5th August 1914 found the 1st Cheshires in barracks at Londonderry. They marched two days later to Belfast and embarked on the SS Masilia, which docked at Le Havre on 16th August. They entrained for Le Cateau and marched to the BEF assembly area near Mons. On 24th August 1914 the Cheshires fought a fierce rearguard action on the line Elouges to Audregnies with Lintorn commanding “B” Company. The Cheshires were 1007 strong at dawn but their total strength that evening was 192 and Lintorn, being senior surviving officer, took command. He led the Battalion throughout the retreat from Mons and on Saturday 5th September, only 12 miles from Paris, they received orders for the General Advance. In the next 9 days the Cheshires advanced 90 miles to the River Aisne, crossing on 14th September.

The Division was then disengaged, re-formed and re-equipped before taking over a sector near La Bassee Canal. On October 22nd the Germans attacked at Violaines where Lintorn was captured after being shot through the left lung. He was taken to a German hospital for wounded British Officers in a nunnery at Namur.

Linton3While in hospital the incident of the visit of the Irish-Prussian officer, Prehen Von Scheffler-Knox, took place.  He and Lintorn had been friends in Londonderry where the Prussian was a large landowner before narrowly escaping internment on the outbreak of war. Prehen was in the Prussian Guard and ADC to the General Commanding at Namur, accompanying him on a visit to the hospital.  Lintorn simply called out “Good Morning Mr Knox!”.
Lintorn took a long time to recover from his wounds. He got pleurisy and was eventually sent to a POW camp in Friedburg. His health did not improve and he was finally discharged on 9th December 1917 to Switzerland where he was interned in Montreux. On parole, he restored his chest by walking longer and longer distances with all his old determination. On the signing of the Armistice, he was ordered to collect British Army equipment in Switzerland, which he did to the value of £20,000. He was repatriated to the UK on 4th March 1919 where he rejoined his family at Killiney in County Kerry.

Lintorn was with the Cheshires throughout the Troubles before leaving the army in 1924 to return to Somerset. He received a DSO, OBE, French Legion of Honour and two mentions in Despatches.  He died on 22nd December 1947.